[rfc-i] Adding line breaks to v3 [from xml2rfc]

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Jun 30 11:46:01 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-30 20:30, Sean Leonard wrote:
> Hello, I got a request from Paul Hoffman to discuss this proposal on
> rfc-interest. This proposal was posted on the xml2rfc mailing list.
>
> ************************
>
>  From my experience with the current xml2rfc, there is no way (other
> there are no blank spaces between the resulting text blocks.

Why is this even desirable inside paragraphs or list items?

Can you give an example?

> I.e., I want:
> ***
> Foo
> Bar
> Baz
> ***
> not:
> ***
> Foo
>
> Bar
>
> Baz
> ***
>
> If you permit <li> (or lists in general) as children of <c> in the v3
> grammar, how can you smush the lines so that they are not separated by a
> blank line? If you add <t> elements as children of <c> in the v3
> grammar, how can you smush the lines so that they are not separated by a
> blank line? I do not see a way unless you add some attributes like
> vspacebefore="0" and vspaceafter="0".
>
> My proposal is simple: create a new element, <br>, that can appear as
> children of <t> and in <c>. The element has a 1:1 correspondence with
> HTML/XHTML, and matches the general trend in draft-hoffman-xml2rfc of
> from HTML/XHTML.

I usually avoid <br> where I can. The HTML5 even says:

> br elements must be used only for line breaks that are actually part of the content, as in poems or addresses.

(<http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/text-level-semantics.html#the-br-element>)

That is, it's discouraged for use cases that are actual formatting
(where you'd use CSS).

Do you have any use cases like that in xml2rfc?

Best regards, Julian