[rfc-i] Adding line breaks to v3 [from xml2rfc]

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Mon Jun 30 11:30:35 PDT 2014

Hello, I got a request from Paul Hoffman to discuss this proposal on
rfc-interest. This proposal was posted on the xml2rfc mailing list.

************************

 From my experience with the current xml2rfc, there is no way (other
there are no blank spaces between the resulting text blocks.

I.e., I want:
***
Foo
Bar
Baz
***
not:
***
Foo

Bar

Baz
***

If you permit <li> (or lists in general) as children of <c> in the v3
grammar, how can you smush the lines so that they are not separated by a
blank line? If you add <t> elements as children of <c> in the v3
grammar, how can you smush the lines so that they are not separated by a
blank line? I do not see a way unless you add some attributes like
vspacebefore="0" and vspaceafter="0".

My proposal is simple: create a new element, <br>, that can appear as
children of <t> and in <c>. The element has a 1:1 correspondence with
HTML/XHTML, and matches the general trend in draft-hoffman-xml2rfc of
from HTML/XHTML.

-Sean