[rfc-i] not just 'lineprinter' (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Jun 30 09:30:56 PDT 2014

On 6/30/2014 9:08 AM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> On 6/30/14, 8:36 AM, "Dave Crocker" <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:
>> Many applications do not treat FF as a page break.  Many do.  My windows
>> text editor honors it quite nicely and prints pages properly, for example.
>
> I'm going to remember that argument and repeat it back to you once you
> start saying that there are some applications that don't process Byte
> Order Marks.  Although in that case, the number of applications is quite
> small, and your case the number that don't process FF is quite large. :)

As usual, I guess it's important that we ignore the difference between
retaining something we've been using for 40+ years, versus adding
something we haven't been using at all...

(That's not offered as an argument not the addition, but as an argument
to pay attention to history, even when it doesn't suite one's preferences.)

>> What is nice about Brian's suggestion is that it is very inexpensive and
> Did my tooling proposal make sense to you as a way to achieve this?

If I were worried about the feasibility of providing
intelligently-placed FFs, I'd be interested in the pragmatics
demonstrated by implementation discussion at this stage.  But since I'm
not, I'm not.

>> It's not a question of whether every app honors FF, but whether it is
>> easy for a user who cares about good page breaks to easily get them.
>
> And the avoidance of visual or printed trash for the people that don't
> want them.

Feel free to make your case for that, with specifics, but again note the
counter points that Brian raised, which demonstrate their own
problematic visuals that significantly affect utility of the printed
document.

As for the continuing argumentation style that chooses to say the way to
deal with deficiencies in one form is to use a different form, please
no, let's not.

d/
--
Dave Crocker