[rfc-i] use cases for page breaking hints, Re: Update on the plain text thread(s)

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Mon Jun 30 08:12:14 PDT 2014

On Jun 30, 2014, at 10:45 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:
> For example, it is common for politically correct usage to artificially
> say "she" where "he" has been common.  It would have been especially odd
> for you to have posted a similar challenge to that usage, even though it
> is an equally 'biased' term.

I probably would not hassle someone who uses the generic she because I don't see it as a systemic problem, but I find its use equally disturbing.   I agree with you that the singular they is the right choice, although I will also use s/he where it seems to scan better.

I also agree that bringing this up is a distraction, but either one brings it up in the context in which it occurs, or one endures it silently.   Bringing it up in some other context is ineffective, since at that point it's purely theoretical.