[rfc-i] use cases for page breaking hints, Re: Update on the plain text thread(s)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Jun 30 07:45:19 PDT 2014

On 6/30/2014 7:02 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2014, at 4:56 AM, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) <Chris.Dearlove at baesystems.com> wrote:
>> > Now that's just an attempt to discredit when arguments have failed.
> Why do people make assumptions about my motivation?

As this sub-thread nicely demonstrates, the real effect has been to
distract from the substance of the thread.  You injected an issue that
is unrelated to the discussion focus and you did it about a particularly
complex issue that has very poor societal resolution.

Given the extreme variability in the way people make third-person
impersonal references, taking exception to a particular choice -- in the
absence of a substantive pattern by the speaker that is problematic --
is solely a distraction.

For example, it is common for politically correct usage to artificially
say "she" where "he" has been common.  It would have been especially odd
for you to have posted a similar challenge to that usage, even though it
is an equally 'biased' term.

And since you've introduced the topic, here's my own suggestion:

   http://dcrocker.net/#gender

d/

--
Dave Crocker