[rfc-i] not just 'lineprinter' (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Jun 30 07:36:27 PDT 2014

On 6/30/2014 3:15 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> My browser (Firefox) doesn't treat the FF as page break, thus it doesn't
> work for me. What is your browser?

Many applications do not treat FF as a page break.  Many do.  My windows
text editor honors it quite nicely and prints pages properly, for example.

What is nice about Brian's suggestion is that it is very inexpensive and
painless.  It does not add meaningful complexity to the document --
unlike full page headers and footers -- is easily processed, and will
provide the essential benefit he cites.  Namely, intelligent choices for
page breaks.

It's not a question of whether every app honors FF, but whether it is
easy for a user who cares about good page breaks to easily get them.

A FF put into by an intelligent engine that understands constructs
within the canonical form makes the answer be yes.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking