[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Jun 28 19:50:51 PDT 2014

On 6/28/2014 7:29 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> Um.   I mean that the XML that is canonical has to have numbers in it, so that we don't have to rely on the presentation translators to all have the same algorithm for numbering paragraphs, and so that if I am looking at the XML for the document, I can see the paragraph numbers.

I think you've just proffered a new requirement.

Your logic is interesting.  I can't decide whether it's sufficient to
sell the requirement enough, but it does make sense.

We've had page numbers in the archival version and now are getting rid
of those.

In addition, I find working on a draft xml2rfc version, which does not
have numbering explicit in the text, to be challenging, when everyone
offers change suggestions using section (or, worse, page) numbers. So
having folks using a value that is actually embedded in the editable
version would be nice.

On the other hand, it /is/ another bit of mechanism and would need some
care in generating new numbers after document revision.  Or, I suppose,
that could be done as part of the submission process (if needed)?

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking