[rfc-i] DOI and figures in RFCs [was: Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt]

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jun 27 18:59:37 PDT 2014

> The point is that the figures would be separate "creations" in DOI
> terminology in the new RFC world - i.e. independently created objects
> that could be looked at separately.

That would be an exceedingly odd way to use DOIs.  A typical DOI refers to
an article in a journal, including the figures, bibliography and anything
else. The ones I've seen have the URL redirect to a landing page that if
you're lucky has the abstract and bibliographic crossrefs, and if you're
unlucky asks you for your credit card number and expiration date.  The
article itself is generally there with a link to a PDF.

Keep in mind that our plan is to assign DOIs to RFCs, not to every I-D.
DOIs cost money, and there is no benefit I can see to paying for DOIs for
individual figures.

> There is another question here also:
> How do you submit an I-D as the base XML2RFC file plus a number of
> figures in separate files?
> Multi-part MIME?
> TAR or ZIP archive?

Probably.