Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Fri Jun 27 12:43:35 PDT 2014

On 6/27/14, 6:25 AM, "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)"
<chris.dearlove at baesystems.com> wrote:

>Keeping the current line printer format is not what I've suggested. (I
>did make one early intemperate comment, later retracted. But it didn't
>say that, and it's not what you're quoting.)
>
>The characterisation is based on replies here. I was expecting the answer
>to be "if that's what you want, just print the PDF". Which would have
>been a fine answer. But rather got a "the PDF is not defined yet". Even
>that would be fine if combined with a "but it should do something like
>that", but rather got people saying paper isn't important.
>
>I might add that the printable format needs to include everything
>normative at least.

It may be that a brief sketch of potential tooling might be interesting
here.  One possible approach for generating the PDF would be to do so from
the HTML format, using a tool that is particularly good at processing the
CSS hints for pagination
(http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/page.html#page-breaks), such as PrinceXML
(which is why Julian pointed us to that earlier).  This approach would
have the benefit of keeping the look and feel ("brand") of the different
document formats similar.  The RPC would need a copy of PrinceXML, (and
potentially the I-D submission tool) but only people that wanted to
generate PDFs locally would need their own copy.  Only people that wanted
to do that without the PrinceXML watermark would need to pay for it.  One
day when browsers implement all of the printing standards from the W3C,
PrinceXML would no longer be needed.

The Table of Contents could then be generated in PDF using the
target-counter CSS function (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm), which
PrinceXML supports.  This would give you exactly what you want.  Page
numbers, and a way to index to them.

Note: this is just one possible approach.  I could also imagine generating
the PDF from the XML without going through the HTML, with a good amount of
elbow grease.

However, once you had a PDF with all of the properties you want, it might
still be difficult for me to consume your review that only used page
numbers as references, because I might be reading the HTML version that
doesn't have any notion of pages.

--
Joe Hildebrand