[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Thomas Clausen ietf at thomasclausen.org
Fri Jun 27 09:19:14 PDT 2014

On Jun 27, 2014, at 18:07, Ted Lemon <mellon at fugue.com> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Thomas Clausen <ietf at thomasclausen.org> wrote:
>> Say what you want, but telling someone to “look at page 42” is a lot easier than saying “look at section 19.3.4.12 paragraph 9”.
>
> This is silly.

Ted, I appreciate that you do not share my opinion on this matter, but I do believe that we’re better than resorting to characterizing opposing viewpoints using such adjectives.

>   Sure, "page 42" is easier than "section 19.3.4.12 paragraph 9" but walking to the kitchen in my house is easier than walking to the bedroom, when I am sitting in the living room.   This does not mean that I need to re-architect my house.

Nice strawman.

> Why are we wasting cycles endlessly debating this?

Because I’m not asking you to re-architect your house — but you are telling me that I need to re-architect mine to your preferences.

You could try to read the rest of my email, which has a few examples, such as the need to give a reference of the form:

> Same thing on page 13 — I am sorry, I mean….hang on, need to count….4th paragraph (if you do not count the artwork as a paragraph — 5th if you do) in section 2.7.1 actually splits a sentence across two pages. It’d have been a lot more reader-friendly had the pagbreak been made 3 lines above, before that paragraph.

In place on “Last sentence on page 13”

Thomas