Thomas Clausen ietf at thomasclausen.org
Fri Jun 27 08:31:35 PDT 2014

On Jun 27, 2014, at 12:29, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) <chris.dearlove at baesystems.com> wrote:

> Now that's just deliberately insulting.
>
> No one has suggested not being able to put things on an iPad.

I just want to jump in here….most of my “reading and annotating I-Ds and RFCs” is done on an iPad. I use GoodReader and the PDF version of I-D/RFCs.

That which is not done on an iPad is done on a print-out (paginated, A4, not fan-fold) — often, of the PDF.

I’d guess that the split is roughly 70% — 30% between the two above.

So, we actually can already do that.

[I’ve event got a hacked-up tool that will do “OLD: … NEW: …” style plain-text for sending via email to authors  (and, which indicates the page number, too, of the proposed edit) from an annotated PDF, but it’s not quite ready for wide consumption just yet…I do hope that whatever the new format will be won’t break that … ]

> However it also remains useful to put things reliably, and formatted at least to the point of not splitting things cross pages, on paper. Fanfold is just an transparent attempt to make an opinion not your own look archaic.
>
> And this got raised because you may not want paper, but some of us do,

And even when not actually using paper, I still like the paginated format and the not-splitting with which  Chris is concerned.

Thomas