[rfc-i] use cases for page breaking hints, Re: Update on the plain text thread(s)

Dearlove, Christopher (UK) chris.dearlove at baesystems.com
Fri Jun 27 08:10:38 PDT 2014

Being able to put two bits of connected text together on one page is an essential feature in some cases, but agreed, here it's only a nice to have

Being able to avoid destructive page breaks (*) is more than that.

I suspect that what's really wanted is to stand back and say, OK, authors want some pagination control. What works?

(For example, three ways - I'm sure there are more - to keep two paragraphs together - assuming possible - is to tag the first, tag the second, and wrap both in something. There would have to be a better reason than I can see to require one of these. Rather it would be what fits the model.)

(*) Where of course not impossible. If someone creates a 200 line table, I'm not very sympathetic.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Information Assurance Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687