[rfc-i] use cases for page breaking hints, Re: Update on the plain text thread(s)

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Jun 27 07:55:43 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-27 16:32, John Levine wrote:
> In article <53AD62D2.9000009 at gmx.de> you write:
>> On 2014-06-27 14:12, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
>>> Does the current version allow breaking tables with heading rows repeated, but only at certain points, and
>> keeping two independent things, of any types, together on one page?
>>
>> No.

The "No" was about "keeping two independent things together".

> You can do running heads with "running" elements, although it appears
> you have to duplicate the text you want to put into the header in a
> paragraph in a class that will be moved to the page header or footer.

Not necessary. Just use <thead> and <tbody> properly.

Again: this is old stuff, and we've been doing this for ages. Just test it.

> There's some examples here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#running-elements
>
> To keep text together, there's "page-break-inside: avoid".
>
> I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to add an attribute to <preamble> to
> say that it would be nice to repeat its contents if the figure or table
> spills across a printed page boundary.  In antique (but very useful) tools
> like tbl, there's a tag that says to do that.

Yes, that's possible, but I'm not convinced that you actually want this
all the time.

Which brings us to the fact that optimizing vertical space is really
nice if you produce books, but it simply might be overkill for
occasional printouts.

Best regards, Julian