[rfc-i] use cases for page breaking hints, Re: Update on the plain text thread(s)

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jun 27 07:32:49 PDT 2014

In article <53AD62D2.9000009 at gmx.de> you write:
>On 2014-06-27 14:12, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
>> Does the current version allow breaking tables with heading rows repeated, but only at certain points, and
>keeping two independent things, of any types, together on one page?

You can do running heads with "running" elements, although it appears
you have to duplicate the text you want to put into the header in a
paragraph in a class that will be moved to the page header or footer.
There's some examples here:

To keep text together, there's "page-break-inside: avoid".

I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to add an attribute to <preamble> to
say that it would be nice to repeat its contents if the figure or table
spills across a printed page boundary.  In antique (but very useful) tools
like tbl, there's a tag that says to do that.