[rfc-i] use cases for page breaking hints, Re: Update on the plain text thread(s)

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jun 27 07:32:49 PDT 2014

In article <53AD62D2.9000009 at gmx.de> you write:
>On 2014-06-27 14:12, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
>> Does the current version allow breaking tables with heading rows repeated, but only at certain points, and
>keeping two independent things, of any types, together on one page?
>
>No.

You can do running heads with "running" elements, although it appears
you have to duplicate the text you want to put into the header in a
paragraph in a class that will be moved to the page header or footer.
There's some examples here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#running-elements

To keep text together, there's "page-break-inside: avoid".

I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to add an attribute to <preamble> to
say that it would be nice to repeat its contents if the figure or table
spills across a printed page boundary.  In antique (but very useful) tools
like tbl, there's a tag that says to do that.

R's,
John