[rfc-i] use cases for page breaking hints, Re: Update on the plain text thread(s)

Dearlove, Christopher (UK) chris.dearlove at baesystems.com
Fri Jun 27 06:18:04 PDT 2014

Agreed, keep together is not always the right answer. Although if human inserted, the human might have a clue. The question then is how much you trust that the human will have only used it sensibly?

The (incomplete) algorithm I indicated partly covers that. It doesn't allow the text to move onto the next page if that then messes up the table. What it (and I think nothing) can handle is the "if you do this here to avoid a slight nasty, ten pages later something nastier happens". Rare, but possible. (I once deleted some text from Word and the document got longer - that was, IIRC, down to turning a four line paragraph, split 2+2, into a 3 line paragraph, which to avoid a widow or an orphan split 0+3. Then the extra line rippled forwards to eventually causing an extra page of several lines.)

(I need to look into <preamble>.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687