[rfc-i] use cases for page breaking hints, Re: Update on the plain text thread(s)

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Jun 27 06:02:41 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-27 14:43, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
> For the second case. (Apologies if some of this is grandmother egg-sucking, but I wasn't sure where to stop assuming, so I have "explained" things I'm sure you know better than me.)
>
> Well, the functionality is there in most word processors like Word.
>
> A typical simple use case is that I have an IANA section that goes
>
> Table 1 describes the A characteristic ...
>
> Table 1
>
> Table 2 describes the B characteristic ...
>
> Table 2
>
> Etc.
>
> Now suppose that the tables are kept unbroken. It's just cleaner and easier if the text describing the table is above it on the same page, rather than possibly on the previous page. Typically that costs no more pages, and is just easier to read. And with the right capability, painless to do.
>
> (There are probably better examples, that will do for now.)

In xml2rfc, you could use the <preamble> element.

> So in Word etc. I'd tag the paragraph above the table with "keep with next".

> I did once talk to the coder of an obscure word processor. The basic keep with next concept for him was
>
> A is being kept together with B (we implicitly assumed A and B wouldn't break - I realise that's the devil in the details)
>
> If A and then B will fit on the current page, do that.
>
> If not, but A and B will fit together on the next page, page break and do that.
>
> If not, put A on this page and B on next (i.e. ignore keep).
>
> I think the basic keep together process is similar. It's the interaction that's harder to define.

The problem here is that "keep together" isn't always the right answer.
If the result is that we end up with an almost empty page, I'd rather
prefer the page break to appear between introduction and table, or even
the table to be broken if it's sufficiently long.

Best regards, Julian