[rfc-i] Line/section/page numbers considered useless/useful

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 18:23:24 PDT 2014

I have found line, section and page numbers to be pretty useless
when reviewing I-Ds, simply because they will probably be
different in the next version, and for the majority of authors
they are meaningless because they are by definition absent from
the xml source. So I try to use contextual information only in
my reviews, unless I'm being lazy.

On the other hand, section, paragraph and line numbers are
all by definition stable in RFCs. The latter two can always
be added at presentation time, so do not need to be in the file.

The RSE needs to remind me whether page numbers would be consistent
across the various formats.

Regards
   Brian