[rfc-i] Update on the plain text thread(s)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jun 26 15:11:36 PDT 2014

On 6/26/2014 11:21 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> Third, regarding artwork as normative, I have discussed the issue of
> text-as-normative/artwork-as-informative with the IESG, and they had a
> very valid concern that some things used as artwork do not transfer to a
> text description particularly well.  The general consensus out of that
> discussion was that text-as-normative should be recommended but not
> required.

Prior to this thread, I had not really thought about whether artwork is
normative or not.  I haven't registered seeing it explicitly labeled
normative.

This is probably a point worth distinguishing, and having nothing to do
with the form of the artwork.  Rather it's a style-guide issue with the
way(s) we can/should/must be explicit when text is/isn't normative.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking