[rfc-i] reject the past ( was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Thu Jun 26 13:51:10 PDT 2014

On 6/26/14, 2:13 PM, "John Levine" <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:

>>>PDF?  I don't have as much feel, but my guess is that as pagination
>>becomes less valuable, PDF's benefits over HTML wane.

Just as this thread has pointed out, there are definite benefits to
pre-paginated material.  Also fixed format, unchanging content.  These are
things that are required by many industries and why you won¹t see PDF go
away.  It solves may problems that HTML (either by itself or inside an
EPUB) does not.

>PDF is not my favorite format,

I¹d love to understand why sometime..(private email is fine)

>but unlike for Postscript, people have
>given considerable thought to profiles like PDF/A that are intended to
>be stable and suitable for archives.
>
>>HTML?  I doubt that a carefully-chosen small subset of HTML will be
>>unreadable 50 years from now.

And that¹s what PDF/A does - pick a specific subset of the full PDF format
that is best suited for long term archiving.  Perhaps someday someone will
do the same for HTML.  (there was talk about an EPUB/A, but the IDPF has
many other higher priorities, such as getting EPUB useful outside of
books).

Leonard