[rfc-i] reject the past ( was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Jun 26 11:13:32 PDT 2014

>>the 1968 version of ASCII isn't going to change. I'm equally confident
>>PDF and HTML and XML and ... will change. ...
>
>I agree that XML will change, in that far fewer people will care about it
>in the future.

Agreed.

>PDF?  I don't have as much feel, but my guess is that as pagination
>becomes less valuable, PDF's benefits over HTML wane.

PDF is not my favorite format, but unlike for Postscript, people have
given considerable thought to profiles like PDF/A that are intended to
be stable and suitable for archives.

>HTML?  I doubt that a carefully-chosen small subset of HTML will be
>unreadable 50 years from now.  Yes, there will be new tags, but if the
>current ones stop working, so will a large part of the Internet.

Agreed, although I would worry about bitrot in style sheets.  (Wow,
you mean this page expects a screen at less than 100,000 dpi
resolution?  Maybe we can fake it.)

R's,
John