[rfc-i] diagram issues

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu Jun 26 10:05:36 PDT 2014

On 6/26/2014 7:25 AM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> Joe,
>
> As an example of the point I am making, take a look at
> draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-grouping-taxonomy-01. This started out with a UML
> diagram - you can find it on the last page of:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/86/slides/slides-86-avtext-5.pdf
>
> There is no way that this diagram could be reproduced in ascii art in a
> draft. So the draft is mostly text. The diagram has been factored, and
> bits and pieces of that done as ascii art. Those parts are helpful, but
> the draft can't convey the big picture of how everything hangs together.

I would say that the line drawing doesn't either, though.

The diagram tries to convey several things at the same time
(communication components, protocols, data types/structures), and it's
not clear why it's useful to see all at the same time - except to
underscore that the system architecture as a whole is in desperate need
of clear interfaces and modularity.

Yes, there are corner cases like this, but do we really need to push the
whole set of authors and documents to solving this case? This is a lot
like the optimization of keeping enough source material to re-generate
the doc *in case* there's a -bis update.

Joe