[rfc-i] reject the past ( was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Jun 26 10:02:44 PDT 2014

On 6/26/14, 10:30 AM, "Donald Eastlake" <d3e3e3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>The IETF already has bad experience with adopting shiny new
>technology. Postscript was permitted for a while for the normative
>version of standards until the usual instability of such fancy things
>caused that decision to be backed out. I can be pretty confident that
>the 1968 version of ASCII isn't going to change. I'm equally confident
>PDF and HTML and XML and ... will change.

I agree that XML will change, in that far fewer people will care about it
in the future.

PDF?  I don't have as much feel, but my guess is that as pagination
becomes less valuable, PDF's benefits over HTML wane.

HTML?  I doubt that a carefully-chosen small subset of HTML will be
unreadable 50 years from now.  Yes, there will be new tags, but if the
current ones stop working, so will a large part of the Internet.

--
Joe Hildebrand