[rfc-i] section anchors ( was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Jun 26 09:55:42 PDT 2014

On 6/26/14, 9:42 AM, "Thomas Clausen" <ietf at thomasclausen.org> wrote:

>I’m sitting here struggling with the idea of needing a mouse-pointer on a
>printed version of the I-D that I am actually right now in the process of
>reviewing (started in the taxi a bit earlier today, hence printed…).
>
>In other words, “automatic anchors” and “mouseover” are explicitly
>excluding one specific “display format”  from being useful.

I'm going to repeat what I said yesterday, and explain it more.  In the
CSS, you can do things like this:

@media print {
  p[id]:after {
    content: " [#" attr(id) "]";
    color: #999;
  }
}

This says that when the browser is printing (@media print), all of the
paragraphs that have an `id` attribute (p[id]) should have some content
added (content:) after the paragraph (:after).  That content should
contain the value of the `id` attribute (attr(id)) with some extra text
(e.g. " [#").  That extra content gets to be styled however we want
(color: #999).

So a paragraph like this:

Gets rendered like this:

Hi! [#foo]

I'm not suggesting that this particular choice of text or formatting is
optimal, just trying to show what is possible.

>I *thought* that this whole exercise of revising the IETF document format
>was to *include* display/output formats, and not the inverse?

When we include these other devices, it will require changes to the
lineprinter format to ensure that the community can continue to
collaborate if some of them use the lineprinter format.

--
Joe Hildebrand