[rfc-i] line numbers (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 26 09:30:07 PDT 2014

On 6/26/14 11:24 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 6/24/2014 10:04 AM, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
>> No one I've noticed has suggested that all formats should have line numbers, be easily printable etc.
>>
>> Just that one format should have those properties.
>

> -10
>
> We need referencing conventions that work across alternative display
> forms.  Think of this as an interoperability requirement.  When you cite
> a specific bit of text, while you are reading a txt version of the
> document, I need to be able to find that same text, while reading an
> html version or editing an xml2rfc version.

I must say that it is annoyingly inconvenient to find the place in the
xml that corresponds to something in a presentation format that I want
to change.

And I don't see how the current discussion of anchors will help that.
The section numbers you see in the rendered formats don't appear in the
xml. I expect that the same will probably be true of paragraph anchors.

	Thanks,
	Paul