[rfc-i] section anchors ( was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Thomas Clausen ietf at thomasclausen.org
Thu Jun 26 08:42:23 PDT 2014

On Jun 26, 2014, at 17:19, Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

>> Section anchors will be autogenerated when not specified in the source.
>

> Having anchors is good.  Finding them, so they can be included in a
> citation, is often a challenge.
>
> The hack of making an anchor visible, when you mouse over it, would be
> quite useful.

I’m sitting here struggling with the idea of needing a mouse-pointer on a printed version of the I-D that I am actually right now in the process of reviewing (started in the taxi a bit earlier today, hence printed…).

In other words, “automatic anchors” and “mouseover” are explicitly excluding one specific “display format”  from being useful.

I *thought* that this whole exercise of revising the IETF document format was to *include* display/output formats, and not the inverse?