Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jun 26 08:16:02 PDT 2014

On 6/24/2014 6:10 AM, Thomas Clausen wrote:
> If for me to review (or implement) your spec, I’d have to know and/or adopt your workflow, formats and tools that go with it, then I foresee deep trouble.
>
> As Chris say in another post, not all of us can chose our tools all the time.
>
> I keep going back to this: how can I *precisely* point to what I want?
>
> If in my “alternative format" I spot a bug in “line 17 on page 33”, how do I convey that to you?
>
> Apparently, someone has decided to do away with both page numbers and fixed line lengths……so what, do I count characters (we still have characters, right?) from the beginning of the document?
>
> Do I hope that you have put a section anchor in that’s useful?

+1, to each of the above.

If we get rid of page numbers, we need to make sure section numbers are
useful.

However note that excessively deep section numbering is distracting.

I suggest a limit of 3 levels, with guidance that sub-sections been on
the order of an old-time page long.

d/
--
Dave Crocker