[rfc-i] diagram issues

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jun 26 08:09:26 PDT 2014

On 6/25/2014 10:13 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
>> I disagree. Lots of things are too complex to render in an ASCII art
>> diagram.The usual work-around is factoring - break a single diagram
>> into several smaller diagrams. This is sometimes a good thing. But other
>> times it simply makes the relationship between pieces harder to
>> understand.
> It would be useful to provide an example. The one's I've seen all
> benefit greatly from factorization, as did the corresponding discussion.

IMO, and the opinion of others, the ascii art version of the email
architecture overview is a very unpleasant challenge to peruse:

   Figure 5, page 23

Whereas a graphic version of it is useful:

However the entire point of the art is a single, integrated view.  That
will be defeated if the diagram is factored.

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking