[rfc-i] diagram issues

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Wed Jun 25 14:42:18 PDT 2014

On Jun 25, 2014, at 4:15 PM, George, Wes <wesley.george at twcable.com> wrote:
> Yes. Or even using XML, but using docbook or similar instead of inventing
> our own standard that has no authoring tools except the ones we build
> ourselves.

I would rather have a format that can be translated into docbook than have docbook as a format, because docbook (a) produces really ugly output that makes me not want to read it and (b) isn't designed for rendering RFCs.   We already have the tools to render to HTML.   So I really think this is not a problem.   Docbook renders to HTML too, so in principle we could use it, but we'd lose the ability to do things like customize the paragraph numbering, and we'd be buying an absolutely _massive_ heap of complexity we do not need in the bargain.

Also AFAIK docbook actually doesn't have good tools--there are tools that support it, but they would probably support RFC editing just as well.