[rfc-i] make diagrams non-normative?

Dale R. Worley worley at ariadne.com
Wed Jun 25 13:28:47 PDT 2014

> From: Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu>
>
> So, top-level question, is there any support for the following assertion?:
>
> 	Diagrams MUST NOT be normative.
>
> 	Only the corresponding text description is normative;
> 	diagrams are always considered supplemental and thus optional.

Well, a table can clearly be normative, if the text describes how it
is normative.  I would think that a diagram could be normative if the
text described how it is normative.  But most diagrams are flow
diagrams of examples and thus are stated to be non-normative.

I'd say a diagram is normative only to the degree that the text states
that it is.

Dale