[rfc-i] diagram issues

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Wed Jun 25 12:49:38 PDT 2014

On 6/25/2014 11:56 AM, George, Wes wrote:
> I believe that the burden of proof here isn't "why ASCII isn't
> enough" but rather "why we should still be limited to ASCII in 2014".

s/ASCII art/XML-based editors/

My personal preference would be to directly support modern, common
publishing formats (PDF, DOC), but we've been around that block and
ended up back at XML anyway.

The question on the table is whether the ASCII version will be rendered
incomplete by these updates. As long as we require that the text (words,
not art) is normative and that all figures are only supplemental, it's
possible to support a variety of display formats. Otherwise, the
requirements will devolve into the needed resolution to display a
figure, otherwise critical elements won't be visible.

Joe