[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Jun 25 09:31:15 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-25 18:08, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:> On 6/25/14, 9:58
AM, "Ted Lemon" <mellon at fugue.com> wrote:

 >> On Jun 25, 2014, at 7:53 AM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth at adobe.com>
wrote:
 >>> But would you ³view source² on HTML in order to determine the HTML
 >>> anchor??
 >>
 >> The key is to be able to point at the thing to which you wish to refer,
 >> and get a tag from it that you can use when referring to it, which will
 >> work for whoever is looking at your commentary.   So in fact what we
want
 >> is cut-and-pasteable text associated with the paragraph in the HTML or
 >> PDF, ideally that can be made visible as a result of CSS manipulation so
 >> that people who are just reading the document for utility don't have to
 >> look at it.   And then the anchor in the document should be reachable
 >> using that cut-and-pasted text somehow.   So it's not so much that we
 >> need to display the anchor, as that we need to optionally display text
 >> that can be reliably transformed into the anchor.
 >
 > One example approach for HTML in CSS:
 >
 > @media screen {
 >    p[id]:hover:after {
 >      content: " [#" attr(id) "]";
 >      color: #999;
 >    }
 > }

I tried this and found it both to be intrusive (hovering can cause a
paragraph reflow, for instance), and not very helpful, as you can't copy
the anchor.

 > @media print {
 >    p[id]:after {
 >      content: " [#" attr(id) "]";
 >      color: #999;
 >    }
 > }
 >

 > It's still not great in that you can't copy/paste it easily.  We could do
 > much better with JavaScript, if we wanted to allow that in our documents.

We do allow it, unless I missed something.

My requirements would be:

a) non-intrusive (such as in a fixed position left to paragraph start in
margin)

b) doesn't affect copy & paste of text (so AFAIK can't be part of the
text content of the DOM)

For now, I'm using HTML5 context menu entries, which sadly only work in
Firefox. See experiment here:
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.5.1.1.p.3>

Best regards, Julian