[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Wed Jun 25 09:19:03 PDT 2014

On Jun 25, 2014, at 12:06 PM, Stewart Bryant <stbryant at cisco.com> wrote:
> No it is not. An Octet is 8 bits. A byte is the field that holds a character, and thus can be anything from 5 to 16 bits.

Octet explicitly means 8 bits.   Byte could in theory mean something other than octet, but in practice it means octet, and has since about 1984.   In an IETF context we say "octet" because we need to be explicit, so in that sense you are correct: it would never be appropriate to use "byte" to mean "octet" in an RFC.