[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed Jun 25 09:12:37 PDT 2014

On 6/25/14, 10:06 AM, "Stewart Bryant (stbryant)" <stbryant at cisco.com>
wrote:

>On 24/06/2014 18:58, Ted Lemon wrote:
>> A byte is eight bits
>No it is not. An Octet is 8 bits. A byte is the field that holds a
>character, and thus can be anything from 5 to 16 bits.

Wow, this is way off-topic, and I'm sorry I started the sub-thread.

That said, U+1F4A9 is a character that doesn't fit into 16 bits.  For the
folks that want a fixed line length, please read Unicode Annex #29
(http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/) and understand what I meant by
counting grapheme clusters before continuing the discussion.

--
Joe Hildebrand