[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed Jun 25 09:08:11 PDT 2014

On 6/25/14, 9:58 AM, "Ted Lemon" <mellon at fugue.com> wrote:

>On Jun 25, 2014, at 7:53 AM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth at adobe.com> wrote:
>> But would you ³view source² on HTML in order to determine the HTML
>>anchor??
>
>The key is to be able to point at the thing to which you wish to refer,
>and get a tag from it that you can use when referring to it, which will
>work for whoever is looking at your commentary.   So in fact what we want
>is cut-and-pasteable text associated with the paragraph in the HTML or
>PDF, ideally that can be made visible as a result of CSS manipulation so
>that people who are just reading the document for utility don't have to
>look at it.   And then the anchor in the document should be reachable
>using that cut-and-pasted text somehow.   So it's not so much that we
>need to display the anchor, as that we need to optionally display text
>that can be reliably transformed into the anchor.

One example approach for HTML in CSS:

@media screen {
  p[id]:hover:after {
    content: " [#" attr(id) "]";
    color: #999;
  }
}

@media print {
  p[id]:after {
    content: " [#" attr(id) "]";
    color: #999;
  }
}

It's still not great in that you can't copy/paste it easily.  We could do
much better with JavaScript, if we wanted to allow that in our documents.

--
Joe Hildebrand