[rfc-i] Discovering anchors, was: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 25 08:51:51 PDT 2014

On 6/25/14 8:04 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> In HTML, I make the section numbers links that link to themselves. Thus
> clicking on the section number will update the navigation bar, and one
> can copy the link.
>
> Of course for paragraphs, discovery is harder unless we actually include
> something visible to click on.

Keep in mind that URLs aren't the only sort of reference. They are good
for some usages, but not all.

One problem (and feature) with them is that they refer to a particular
version of the document on the web. That's good if you have access to
that version, and it is the format you want to look at. But it might not
be so good if you are someplace and don't have access to that web
version. (E.g., suppose you are reading email comments on a document
while flying to a meeting.)

So there is something to be said for a reference that can be resolved by
a *person* looking at a rendering of the document.

However, having linkable references to paragraphs would satisfy *most*
of my needs.

	Thanks,
	Paul