[rfc-i] Discovering anchors, was: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Wed Jun 25 05:09:34 PDT 2014

On 6/25/14, 8:04 AM, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>On 2014-06-25 13:53, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>>In Adobe¹s Acrobat application, there is a panel called ³Destinations²
>> that will show you all the anchors in the document and where they point.
>
>Reader or Acrobat? (I don't see it in Reader).

Acrobat only.

>>I am sure that other PDF viewing applications can do that same.
>>
>> But would you ³view source² on HTML in order to determine the HTML
>>anchor??
>
>In HTML, I make the section numbers links that link to themselves. Thus
>clicking on the section number will update the navigation bar, and one
>can copy the link.

Right.  And you’d do the same in PDF.  And IF there was a link to
somewhere, you can view the destination of the link by hovering of the
link (in most/all desktop PDF viewers - tablets don’t do hover).

>Of course for paragraphs, discovery is harder unless we actually include
>something visible to click on.

Agreed - that’s the problem for trying to find the anchor to refer someone
else to…

Leonard