[rfc-i] Excursion on RFC 5444 [Was:Re: Jave ascii art editor]

Thomas Clausen ietf at thomasclausen.org
Wed Jun 25 00:55:43 PDT 2014

On Jun 25, 2014, at 0:43, Elwyn Davies <elwynd at folly.org.uk> wrote:

> [Totally off topic]
>> For the format defined in RFC5444 (a regexp derivative - and here’s a
>> memory test, Elwyn, who was the GEN-ART reviewer for that document?)
>
> Had to retrieve that one from tertiary storage! :-)
>
> January 2008 was a while and about 80 gen-art reviews ago! ARRGH!!!
> Quite a contentious one that.  RegExp raised a few hackles (I was quite
> mild on that one I thought).

Yeah, I do remember a marathon IETF in Dublin, chasing ADs (one of which hold a discuss on the use of colon’s in the notation….) — “Good times” as they say  ;)

>> and used in a few protocols now,
>
> Perhaps we should try out RFC 5444 for the DTN BPbis (coming to an
> incipient DTN WG maybe after Toronto).
>
> I have to say that there are aspects of the existing RFC 5050 BP that
> might be better expressed as ABNF (or a RegExp grammar).

Always happy to discuss the experiences with that particular format or “style” - which may or may not fit, of course. Sounds like a beer/coffee/cookie date for Toronto….

[added “read RFC5050 to todo-list]

Thomas