John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Jun 24 18:50:05 PDT 2014

>> I'm particularly concerned about the notion that figures that aren't
>> available as ASCII-art will be resolved using URLs.
>
>Do you have a better suggestion?

I'd think that if someone deeply cared about this, it wouldn't be hard
for him to write a postprocessor that that fetches the image URL,
renders the SVG into a bitmap using one of the many available
libraries, then passes that through something like ppmascii to turn
the bitmap into ASCII art and stick that into the text file.

R's,
John

PS: I wasn't planning to do it.  I have this tablet with software that
can render HTML and PDFs on the screen.