John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Jun 24 18:50:05 PDT 2014

>> I'm particularly concerned about the notion that figures that aren't
>> available as ASCII-art will be resolved using URLs.
>Do you have a better suggestion?

I'd think that if someone deeply cared about this, it wouldn't be hard
for him to write a postprocessor that that fetches the image URL,
renders the SVG into a bitmap using one of the many available
libraries, then passes that through something like ppmascii to turn
the bitmap into ASCII art and stick that into the text file.

PS: I wasn't planning to do it.  I have this tablet with software that
can render HTML and PDFs on the screen.