George, Wes wesley.george at twcable.com
Tue Jun 24 18:35:11 PDT 2014

On 6/24/14, 6:02 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>> Even when using a tool to do so, generating ASCII art
>> diagrams wastes a lot of time creating output that is mediocre at best
>>at
>> the task of conveying the visual information it's trying to convey,
>
>I've created lots of these diagrams, and don't agree with this either.

I'll concede that if you've done enough of them, they probably go faster.
That doesn't change the fact that they're a second-rate substitute for
real drawings and that for those who haven't created lots of them, they'll
take more time than simply sketching something using any number of
computer drawing tools. I imagine practice improves one's speed and skill
at programming with punch cards too, but I'm in no hurry to get good at
that either.

On 6/24/14, 6:16 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>>Is there any kind of Magic in Word that makes it easier to create *ASCII
>>art*?
>
>Yes; it's Overwrite Mode.

The answer you're looking for is actually no.

"overwrite mode" says to me that you are still manually generating ASCII
art. MS Word does nothing to improve that process over your garden-variety
text editor. We'd be better off trying our luck with one of those web
tools that converts a jpg to ASCII art.

But again, what's the point? What specific problem are we solving in
*2014* whose only solution requires a text-only version of a document
complete with crappy text approximations of drawings readable by the
finest computer systems that the year 1973 has to offer?
Please tell me it's something other than the sclerotic combination of
inertia and precedent disguised as a requirement for backward
compatibility.

Wes George