[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 12:12:38 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 20:21, Tim Bray wrote:
> FWIW, on my blog I put an id= anchor on the first paragraph after every
> header, and then use javascript to pop up a pale purple pilcrow (¶) when
> you mouse over the paragraph, to make it visually obvious that the point
> is linkable.  To see the visual effect, click on the link below and
> mouse over the first paragraph.
>
> https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2014/06/08/Trusting-Browser-Code#p-1
>
> However, when you copy out multiple paragraphs, the pilcrow comes along.

Funny enough, I was looking at that page earlier today (and Mark's blog
from back then) to remind myself why I added this and then backed it out
again.

> Maybe this could be avoided with sufficient javascript wizardry?

If anyone knows, please let us know.

> Anyhow, there are two distinct but related problems:
>
> - make paragraphs linkable. This is easy, just generate a unique id= on
> each <p>. I can’t think of a good reason not to do this.

Right. That's why I'm doing that in rfc2629.xslt (at least for plain
text paragraphs; there's maybe some holes for lists and artwork which I
haven't bothered yet to fix).

> - make the addresses easy to discover.  Much of the population is
> perfectly capable of doing “view source” and discovering the id=, but if
> you don’t mind a copied-in marker, it’s also easy to make the discovery
> easier.

In the meantime I discovered
<http://davidwalsh.name/html5-context-menu>, which work just fine in
Firefox (and just there for now it seems), but this has the benefit of
being totally non-intrusive.

Best regards, Julian