[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Thomas Clausen ietf at thomasclausen.org
Tue Jun 24 11:58:18 PDT 2014

On Jun 24, 2014, at 20:43, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> On 6/24/2014 11:30 AM, Thomas Clausen wrote:
>> So question: why can’t we do anchors and tags in both places? One
>> per paragraph for Ted, and one at regular intervals for me? If it’s
>> just meta-data then I can’t for the life of me see a valid reason to
>> preclude one or the other?
>
> You *can*, the question is whether you would want this.
>
> Reference marks are useful only if they can be used by different people to refer to the same place. Otherwise, you're talking more about personal bookmarks - which anyone can add at any time to any rendering.

On the last paragraph, I fully agree, that’s the whole point….

Now, I do not see why that should not be possible to do, nor why I should not “want this”: the anchor would be the same place in the text (before/after the same character) regardless of how you’d flow it on your device.

I’m just arguing that for those of us still “working on pages”, maintaining a marker to “a page”, that looks smells and behaves like a page-number when formatting as we’ve done for decades (but which is just a random anchor for others) is a handy thing to keep.