[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Thomas Clausen ietf at thomasclausen.org
Tue Jun 24 11:30:18 PDT 2014

On Jun 24, 2014, at 19:58, Ted Lemon <mellon at fugue.com> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Thomas Clausen <ietf at thomasclausen.org> wrote:
>> That’s like asking “what’s a byte”, isn’t it?
>
> No, it's not.   A byte is eight bits.

I’m actually just old enough to have known systems where they called a “9 bit thing” for a byte. So again, context.

>  A line is the number of characters that fit on the display without splitting a word in the middle.
>   The one is a constant; the other is variable.

Hmm….my favorite word processor will gladly insert hyphenations when I write long words that spill over between two “lines” so I am not quite sure that that’s a context free definition either ;)

> I can't remember whether this got specified, but I wanted to have a tag on each paragraph that could be used as a stable reference.   I agree that counting paragraphs off a section head can be a PITA, but I personally have also found page numbers to be too coarse, so I don't mind losing them if we get paragraph numbers.

So question: why can’t we do anchors and tags in both places? One per paragraph for Ted, and one at regular intervals for me?  If it’s just meta-data then I can’t for the life of me see a valid reason to preclude one or the other?