[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Jun 24 11:21:10 PDT 2014

FWIW, on my blog I put an id= anchor on the first paragraph after every
header, and then use javascript to pop up a pale purple pilcrow (¶) when
you mouse over the paragraph, to make it visually obvious that the point is
linkable.  To see the visual effect, click on the link below and mouse over
the first paragraph.

https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2014/06/08/Trusting-Browser-Code#p-1

However, when you copy out multiple paragraphs, the pilcrow comes along.
Maybe this could be avoided with sufficient javascript wizardry?

Anyhow, there are two distinct but related problems:

- make paragraphs linkable. This is easy, just generate a unique id= on
each <p>. I can’t think of a good reason not to do this.
- make the addresses easy to discover.  Much of the population is perfectly
capable of doing “view source” and discovering the id=, but if you don’t
mind a copied-in marker, it’s also easy to make the discovery easier.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Ted Lemon <mellon at fugue.com> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Thomas Clausen <ietf at thomasclausen.org>
> wrote:
> > That’s like asking “what’s a byte”, isn’t it?
>
> No, it's not.   A byte is eight bits.   A line is the number of characters
> that fit on the display without splitting a word in the middle.   The one
> is a constant; the other is variable.
>
> I can't remember whether this got specified, but I wanted to have a tag on
> each paragraph that could be used as a stable reference.   I agree that
> counting paragraphs off a section head can be a PITA, but I personally have
> also found page numbers to be too coarse, so I don't mind losing them if we
> get paragraph numbers.

- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)