[rfc-i] Jave ascii art editor [was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt]

Thomas Clausen ietf at thomasclausen.org
Tue Jun 24 10:35:33 PDT 2014

On Jun 24, 2014, at 18:33, Elwyn Davies <elwynd at folly.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 18:17 +0200, Thomas Clausen wrote:
>
> <<snip>>
>>

>> Not sure if you are aware of it, but I do use this, for the occasions
>> where I am feeling lazy and have a supported environment (Java VM) at
>> hand:
>>

>> http://www.jave.de
>>

>> Then, I pretty-print it by hand.
>>

>> Thomas
>
> Ah, yes.  I tried it out a longish time ago and at that time I had
> little success with it.  Something to do with getting it to stick to the
> character set that I wanted for boxes.
>
> I had forgotten it.
>
> Maybe I had better lok again but I am not sure it solves the immediate
> issue.

No, it doesn’t solve everything, but it makes some thing nicer to do. I do not think that it’s been updated for the past 4-5 years, though, so unless “a longish time” is more than that, then probably nothing has changed there.

Back to the question at hand, which I’ll just go ahead and paste back in (still quoting you, Elwyn):

> If I have understood correctly and we have to continue doing ASCII art
> or add in many more words for such cases, I am not sure this is a gain.
>
> Maybe the protocol field diagram is amenable to a specification language
> that will generate the ASCII art or some SVG alternative according to
> output rendering.
>
> Message flow diagrams and architecture/structure block diagrams are more
> difficult.
>
> I am sure there must be tools out there that will do most of this
> already.

For the format defined in RFC5444 (a regexp derivative - and here’s a memory test, Elwyn, who was the GEN-ART reviewer for that document?) and used in a few protocols now, there’re actually several “picture generators” out there that take a regexp and produce ascii-art (and other stuff), so that bit is actually fairly doable.

I’m afraid that I do not know of anything taking a textual/tabular description of a state machine or a block diagram, and draws legible ASCII-art - OmniGraffle already has a hard time drawing block diagrams in non-ASCII…so for that, I’ve resorted to JaVE or by-hand.

I am thrilled, though, that xml2rfc inserts page numbers automatically, though ;)

Thomas