[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 24 09:43:10 PDT 2014

On 6/24/14 10:56 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2014-06-24 16:40, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>>> Paragraphs can be hyperlinked too (the one tricky thing is how to
>>> discover the links without making the display too intrusive).
>>
>> If we are to navigate by hyperlinks, then there should be links to every
>> place that I might want to reference. I don't know what you have in mind
>> for that.
>
> Exactly that.
>
>> I understand that keeping to fixed line and page breaks is in conflict
>> with some formats, like html. I would like to find a way to convey a
>> localized reference that is finer grained than section number and is
>> also independent of format.
>>
>> ISTM that "paragraph number" might come closest to achieving that,
>> assuming there was an algorithmic definition of what constitutes a
>> paragraph for this purpose. (Including references to points within large
>> figures.) But I don't know how paragraph number could be realized in
>> html.
>
> Creating paragraph numbers isn't hard. I've been doing it for ages. See,
> for instance,
> <http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7230.html#rfc.section.3.1.p.2>.
>

> What's a bit harder is to precisely specify how the paragraph numbering
> works so numbers will be the same independent of the tool that's used to
> convert the XML.

It doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem.

> The other challenge is to make the paragraph number (the anchor)
> *discoverable* without making this too intrusive (all the proposals I've
> seen either use generated content on-hover, or make the text clickable).

Hoverable might be sufficient for html. It isn't going to work for txt.

Actually inserting the paragraph number into the margin of the text is
one possibility. (Note that MSWord can do something like this, though it
uses line number rather than paragraph number. It inserts it into the
left margin every few lines.)

> If somebody has a good proposal that doesn't get into the way and
> doesn't break copy&paste of text, I'm all ears.

Unfortunately, inserting it into the margin of the text does break
copy/paste.

	Thanks,
	Paul