[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 07:56:26 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 16:40, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>> Paragraphs can be hyperlinked too (the one tricky thing is how to
>> discover the links without making the display too intrusive).
>
> If we are to navigate by hyperlinks, then there should be links to every
> place that I might want to reference. I don't know what you have in mind
> for that.

Exactly that.

> I understand that keeping to fixed line and page breaks is in conflict
> with some formats, like html. I would like to find a way to convey a
> localized reference that is finer grained than section number and is
> also independent of format.
>
> ISTM that "paragraph number" might come closest to achieving that,
> assuming there was an algorithmic definition of what constitutes a
> paragraph for this purpose. (Including references to points within large
> figures.) But I don't know how paragraph number could be realized in html.

Creating paragraph numbers isn't hard. I've been doing it for ages. See,
for instance,
<http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7230.html#rfc.section.3.1.p.2>.

What's a bit harder is to precisely specify how the paragraph numbering
works so numbers will be the same independent of the tool that's used to
convert the XML.

The other challenge is to make the paragraph number (the anchor)
*discoverable* without making this too intrusive (all the proposals I've
seen either use generated content on-hover, or make the text clickable).
If somebody has a good proposal that doesn't get into the way and
doesn't break copy&paste of text, I'm all ears.

Best regards, Julian