Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Jun 24 07:47:41 PDT 2014

I am interested in RFCs and thus read rfc-interest, but don’t really have
the time to
​ watch a​
replay this debate, which went on for
​many ​
months and involved literally thousands of emails.  For the benefit of
those who are alarmed at the obsolescence of the 72-column 66-
​line
 only-Anglo-Saxon-characters
​legacy ​
format,
​it may be helpful to now that the issues you raise were discussed very
fully and at extreme length.  Also, that there are a large number of people
for whom dynamically-reflowed text which can be displayed legibly on a huge
variety of devices without the use of any tools other than those which
exist on every modern device, irresistibly advantageous. Also, that text
presented in variable-width resizable fonts is immensely more readable.
 Also that the legacy line-printer format was really hard to read on the
devices that many people need to use to get their work done.

The notion that you can’t have an engineering discussion about the details
of a spec without being able to refer to specific “line numbers” on
specific “page numbers” is either comical or offensive, not sure which.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) <
chris.dearlove at baesystems.com> wrote:

> No promises, but I'll try.
>
> With regard to what we're discussing here, and in case the full 118 pages
> is too much, any suggestions (sections or page numbers) as to what's
> particularly useful to look at with regard to these issues would be helpful.
>
> --
> Christopher Dearlove
> Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group
> Communications, Networks and Image Analysis Capability
> BAE Systems Advanced Technology Centre
> West Hanningfield Road, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, CM2 8HN, UK
> Tel: +44 1245 242194 |  Fax: +44 1245 242124
> chris.dearlove at baesystems.com | http://www.baesystems.com
>
> BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
> Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace Centre,
> Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
> Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687

- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)