[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 24 07:40:43 PDT 2014

On 6/24/14 8:44 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2014-06-24 14:33, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:

>> Page numbers have two separate issues
>> - Page numbers within a document. Useful for going quickly to that page.
>
> To navigate within a document, I click on links.

This is generally useful for browsing a document, or for getting to the
right place when given a section number.

>> (Section numbers are useful. But if a section runs for more than a
>> page - which is far from unusual - they get difficult to use as a
>> reference.)

Yes. I currently often try to give references relative to section
numbers. But often this is inconvenient. I may have to scroll backwards
many windows worth of lines before I find the prior section number. And
then I may have trouble finding my way back to place within the section.
(It is quite common to find sections filled with material that is very
similar, so one has to look very closely to find the key differences.)

> Paragraphs can be hyperlinked too (the one tricky thing is how to
> discover the links without making the display too intrusive).

If we are to navigate by hyperlinks, then there should be links to every
place that I might want to reference. I don't know what you have in mind
for that.

I understand that keeping to fixed line and page breaks is in conflict
with some formats, like html. I would like to find a way to convey a
localized reference that is finer grained than section number and is
also independent of format.

ISTM that "paragraph number" might come closest to achieving that,
assuming there was an algorithmic definition of what constitutes a
paragraph for this purpose. (Including references to points within large
figures.) But I don't know how paragraph number could be realized in html.

	Thanks,
	Paul