Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 06:49:28 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-24 15:43, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
> How your words differ in substance from my abbreviated version, I'm not sure. You can't put two paragraphs in a (hypothetical) subject line.
>
> But you say
>
>> There will be some kind of PDF for sure that is pre-paginated, but there
>> is no guarantee that page breaks will be manually tuned within that
>> format (and that's what's happening for today's plain text RFCs).
>
> What happens today, when authors care, is to work with the RFC production team to get page breaks in the right place. Having one that work, it's available to all. Manual, but once and right. Better than not at all, not guaranteed, depends on each person's tools.

That is true. But what's also true is that this only works for one
specific page format, and that it causes a lot of manual work.

> (If the XML schema had the right things in it, I could as an author put in pagination hints, including things like table splitting. Then automation would work cleanly.)

It's good to hear that you're interested in the XML format. You may want
to provide feedback on
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-08>.

Best regards, Julian