Dearlove, Christopher (UK) chris.dearlove at baesystems.com
Tue Jun 24 06:43:14 PDT 2014

How your words differ in substance from my abbreviated version, I'm not sure. You can't put two paragraphs in a (hypothetical) subject line.

But you say

> There will be some kind of PDF for sure that is pre-paginated, but there
> is no guarantee that page breaks will be manually tuned within that
> format (and that's what's happening for today's plain text RFCs).

What happens today, when authors care, is to work with the RFC production team to get page breaks in the right place. Having one that work, it's available to all. Manual, but once and right. Better than not at all, not guaranteed, depends on each person's tools.

(If the XML schema had the right things in it, I could as an author put in pagination hints, including things like table splitting. Then automation would work cleanly.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687